Wednesday, January 14, 2015

My Masterpiece

My masterpiece this semester is on world hunger and malnutrition. Every year more than 850 million people suffer from hunger worldwide. This is a staggering statistic. Proper nutrition is necessary especially for children for their growth and developmentLiving in the United States, we don't notice, but food is such a luxury for us. Most of us eat three square meals a day. Some people skip breakfast, but they are still fed adequately.

The reason I came to be interested about world hunger is from my English class my sophomore year. That's when I realized that I was taking my whole life for granted, and that I have so much, compared to what other people have around the world. I was watching a video on YouTube and it said if you have a roof over your head, a refrigerator for your food, and a computer, you are automatically richer than 75 % richer than the rest of the world. When I watch and see videos of children and families suffering because they don't have enough food, and I see people throwing away food, it makes me evaluate what's really going on. I throw away food I don't finish, but we waste so much food it's ridiculous. A 2005 study from the University of Arizona says that fast food restaurants through away 85,063,390 lbs. daily. While it is estimated that 49,296,540 lbs. of food is thrown away daily in dine in restaurants. 


Learning about this topic will help enrich my life because it will open not only mine, but everyone's mind to a whole new way of thinking. I know that when Mrs. Byrne introduced this to me my sophomore year, I began thinking a different way, and I began to count my blessings. Hopefully I am able to persuade other people in the community about this, because the more people that participate will lead to less and less people being affected by world hunger. 

So far I don't really have a plan for research for my masterpiece. If I have any questions I have just been looking them up. 

I think Mrs. Byrne will be a big resource for me. I think a lot of our views are similar and we are on the same page in what we think so I think she will be a big asset. I also know that Kurt has a foreign exchanged student from Mozambique and he might have some information that is useful to me. I also know that Bre is doing something similar to me, so we can collaborate on our masterpieces and help each other find new ideas. 

For my masterpiece I'm just going to continue with my previous blog. I'm just going to post all my assignments and my masterpiece on the same blog. I will use other media I find online to remix and hack my masterpiece. My topic isn't black and white so I'm able to remix media to enhance my learning. 

For my masterpiece, I want it to be a solution to world hunger. Finding a least costly way to distribute food to starving children and families is my ultimate goal. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to do that, but I think if I collaborate with Mrs. Byrne and come up with ideas. This is something I have time to do right now, but I think I'll pick it back up when I graduate from college. While I'm in college I think I will be to busy with basketball on my school work to be as much involved, but after I graduate, I will be able to pick up where I left off in high school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment