Monday, September 22, 2014

Character Study (I)

June 23rd, 2015. Wilbur Hall. 7:30 A.M. It is my first day at Stanford University, as I have just woken up from bed. My first class is an Economics class, that I'm excited for but also nervous about. My whole life has led to this moment. All the hard work in the classroom, the countless hours of sweating on a hard word floor, have finally paid off. I am given the opportunity of a lifetime, with a free education to one of the best universities in the world. I'm very blessed and grateful to be where I am, knowing that people would cut off their right hand to be in the same position as me. During my senior year, I cruised in the classroom, maintaining a 3.5 GPA, compared to all my other three years where I had a 4.0. Knowing that I was already into Stanford, I didn't necessarily try my hardest, knowing I was already accepted. But after all, I thought I deserved that after working my tail off for the prior eleven years. As I ride my bike to class, I begin to replay all the events that led me to be where I am. The first thing that came into my mind, was coming on my first unofficial visit to Stanford, as a Freshman in high school, and meeting Coach Dawkins, and the other staff members. I also remember the whole recruiting process and being wanted by so many colleges and coaches. When I was a sophomore that overwhelmed me, and I wasn't sure to do with my newly acclaimed "fame". At one side I was just an average teenager who played basketball and got good grades, but then the other side was the basketball legend, who had won MVP of his high school league, and had 15 scholarship offers from Division I colleges around the country. Another thing that came to mind was all the immature things that I probably shouldn't have done with my friends. The going to parties, staying out late, egging houses, teepeeing people's lawns, and all the other rash decisions that we regret but at the same time had so much fun. I also thought about my junior and senior years, and how they went by so fast. All the football games, the social gatherings, the late nights, the long school days, all the drama came all to a halt the day we graduated. I was reminiscing on my high school memories, but at the same time, realized that I had started a new chapter in my life, and was excited for it. Lastly I thought about my family and all the sacrifices that they made, to get me to where I had become. All the times they had driven me to Los Angeles for basketball events, all the money they spent on the road trips I made, all the time that they invested in me, and developing me into the young man I had become, was all their creation, and they were the most important piece. I wouldn't have conquered such enormous accolades if it weren't for my family, and all the hard work they put into raising me.

No comments:

Post a Comment