Sunday, October 5, 2014

June 23rd, 2015. Wilbur Hall. 7:30 A.M. It is my first day at Stanford University, as I have just woken up from bed. My first class is an Economics class, that I'm excited for but also nervous about. The reason I ended up here was because I was called to my adventure. It was June 22nd, and the Stanford coach called me and said "Cameron, we need you to come to Stanford and be a member of our basketball team. Last year we made it to the elite eight, but your potential and ability, we can make a final four run, and even a championship." "When you accept this invitation, you will also be attending school, and be able to major in your choice of study, and go to school for free. We want you here by June 23rd." he finished
I was nervous, and didn't know what to say, so I took my call to adventure and said "I'll be there coach!" I began with the few things that I had, and packed it in a bag. I told my parents everything that had happened and the whole heartedly agreed with me and my decision. When I told them I had to leave the next day, they were sad, but happy for me. They both agreed to take me, which was going to be a long drive.
Then I decided to break the news to my closest friends. They were also surprised but also very excited for me. I spent the rest of the night with them, and finished packing my bag. When I woke up, I ate my last home cooked meal for a while, and got in the car.

The trip was fairly long. I remember leaving my house, and staring at it as I left not knowing if I would ever see it again. I also remember intensively looking at all the sights in my city, like the movie theater, in-n-out, and  Boomers, not knowing when the next time I would see those places. After that it was pretty much boring until I hit Nipomo. Then I hit Arroyo Grande, and thought about the high school games I had there. Next was San Luis Obispo, and seeing Cal Poly, and I knew I was in a much better situation. After I passed Paso Robles, it began to get boring again. I don't drive past there often, and during this time, I thought about my friends. I knew I was going to miss them a great amount, because they had always been there for me. I was able to see them everyday and it was going to be hard not seeing them. I knew I was also going to miss my family, but I was going to like the feeling of freedom and my parents not breathing down my neck everyday. I also thought about school, and the workload, and how it was going to be a lot harder than I've ever experienced. I also thought about the basketball journey that I was going to encounter. I was excited to step on the court, and prove that I was going to help Stanford win a national championship. Soon we reached Big Sur, then shortly after Monterey. I then thought about my 7th grade trip to Monterey, which also lead me to think about my childhood memories. After Monterey, we reached Gilroy. At this point we were about an hour away, and I was anxious to get there. After more memories, we reached San Jose, which was only about 30 minutes away. At this moment I realized that the journey I was soon to embark on was real. Then thirty minutes later, I arrived on campus.
When I was signing at Wilbur Hall, I saw another student walk up to me. He said "Hello, my name is J'Dinkalage Morgoone and I'm from Florida. I'm going to be your roommate.
I said "Hi my name is Cameron, and I can't wait to start my journey here, to help take the Stanford men's basketball team to a national championship!"

No comments:

Post a Comment