Monday, October 13, 2014

Vocab

 

Shenanigans: secret or dishonest activity or maneuvering

My friends and I are always up to different shenanigans.

Ricochet: a projectile rebounding of a surface

I shot my beebe gun and ricochet of my wall and hit my chest.

Schism: a split or division between strongly opposed parties
The democrats and republicans have a schism relationship.
Eschew: deliberately avoid using
Strict christians tend to eschew events that aren't religious.
Plethora: A large or excessive amount of something

I have a plethora amount of clothes in closet.

Ebullient: Cheerful and full of energy
I'm the exact opposite of ebullient in the morning.
Garrulous: excessively talkativeMy dad is garrulous when it comes to asking questions.

Harangue: a lengthy and aggressive speech
Hitler was known for his harangues.
Interdependence: the mutual dependence between two things
Basketball and I have an interdependent relationship.
Capricious: given to sudden or unaccountable changes in mood or behaviorWomen are capricious when it's "their time of the month."

Loquacious: talkativeLoquacious and garrulous are synonyms.

Ephemeral: lasting for a very short timeLong distance relationships are often ephemeral.

Inchoate: rudimentary, not fully developed.
My golfing skills are very inchoate.
Juxtapose: to put together for contrasting effect
Good versus evil is often juxtaposed.
Perspicacious: having a ready insight and understanding thingsChief executive officers are very perspicacious when it comes to running businesses.

Codswallop: nonsense
Michael Kelso from "That 70's Show" speaks with codswallop.
Mungo: cloth made from woven material
The striped sweater my mom made me was mungo.
Sesquipedalian: characterized by being long
Mozart's symphony's were sesquipedalian.
Wonky: askewMy tower made out of marshmallows was wonky.

Diphthong: sound formed by two vowels and one syllable
Diphthong words are often learned by young learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment